Pages

Wednesday 28 November 2012

CHAPTER TWO


What is your bed time regimen? Well for me it’s; off you go shoes. Zip zip, down goes my jeans trousers. Hands up, Up goes my blouse then finally, what I always can't wait to be free of; my bra! Wheew! Did I hear my boobs say; ‘fresh air''?…Well, maybe! But wait! That is not all. There is one more important thing to be removed. Yes my...shame on you it's not what you're thinking. It's my makeup.


So with my facial cleanser in one hand, cotton in the other or sometimes a face wipe and looking into the mirror, I begin another story.

 ‘’Mirror, mirror on my wall,
‘’I'm sure you're wondering why I've come home late. Well, it's a long story but I guess I’ll have to tell it anyway.’’

‘’So here we go. Once upon this morning, just as I got to the roadside, the weather changed from sunny to cloudy. For the first time in God knows how long, the weather forecaster was right. It was going to rain. As the birds ran helter-skelter in search of a place to hide, I also couldn't help but jump into the first Osu-bound trosky that stopped for me despite how rickety it looked, because no taxis passed by.’’

‘’Like most mates, sorry bus conductors, (eyes rolling) the one in the trosky I joined was engaged in a verbal war with a female passenger, whose lipstick had apparently stained his shirt. His fear was that his girlfriend, a roast plantain seller, who it took two and half years to woe might see the lipstick mark and think he's cheating. As for the lady, she felt the mate should rather be grateful that her lip is imprinted on his shirt because her lipstick could buy thousand times the shirt he was wearing. Eii! Hmm. At that point, I started wondering which brand of makeup she was talking about.’’

This argument continued till we were hundred metres from my destination, which is the last stop, and then the rains began. I wasn't bothered because thankfully I always carry a small umbrella in my ever gargantuan bag. At that moment also, I noticed the argument had seized and took a glance at the ladies; a quick glance at their faces and I could register this bewildered look.(making funny faces at the mirror)

When we finally got to the last stop, it was still raining and almost everyone was trying to get out of the bus, except madam expensive makeup and her friend, who were now pleading with the bus conductor in humble tones to let them alight somewhere they could easily get shelter as they had no umbrellas. But like you can imagine, the conductor would have none of it and so pushed them into the rain. It was also at that point that I realised their fear. It was not because their clothes would get wet, but they were afraid for their hair and makeup getting ruined as well, exposing them.(giggles)

Lo and behold, as fate would have it, as soon as they stepped into the rain, their blouses were stained with makeup as though they had been doused in paint. I couldn't help but join the conductor to laugh at them as the trosky drove off. Being the kind person that I am and knowing the rain couldn’t easily wash away my makeup, I offered them my umbrella and like chicks, they rushed under it and we all moved to a shed close by till the rain stopped.

‘’I think I need more cotton wool.’’

‘’Naana and Mansa ( those are the names of my new found friends by the way) were so much captivated by the products that they ended up spending all their money purchasing . They couldn't just believe that makeup could be less expensive and yet of good quality.’’

‘’Later, a beauty consultant in the saloon did a mini make over on them, as they so needed it after that massive beat down by the rain. Before I realised, time was far spent so I had to leave them at the cosmetic section of the saloon to go do my hair for church tomorrow, which was why I came to Osu in the first place. As at the time I was leaving the saloon, my new found friends were still trying out different makeup looks for facebook. If you see beautifully 'made up' faces on facebook and twitter-those are my girls.’’

‘’Mirror, mirror on the wall, now that the makeup is off my face, I can now go take a shower and hit the suck. Can’t wait for our next mirror moment tomorrow morning as I prepare for church, and I will tell you all about the time spent with Kwabena (winks). Anyway, I couldn’t help but notice the powder all over you. I can tell you had a nice time with my little sister while I was away today! Well, there she comes again! Let me leave you two love birds alone!

Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment